Milwaukee’s Urban Ecology Center has captured the attention of leaders in cities across the country. Our model of creating neighborhood-based environmental education centers energizes urban public natural areas. The result is reduction in crime, protection, and enhancement of urban ecosystems, increased property values and improved academic achievement.
Located in vibrant public green spaces, our fast-growing organization serves over 200,000 people of all ages annually. Our innovative team of cutting-edge non-profit professionals works in creative, high-energy open offices in state-of-the-art green facilities. The Urban Ecology Center is a leader in workplace flexibility and has been recognized as one of Milwaukee’s Top Work Places by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. The Urban Ecology Center’s facilities and programs have been recognized nationally and internationally for their innovative approach to sustainability, neighborhood-based urban environmental education and community science.
Summer internships provide formal training, learning opportunities, and work experience in the following key aspects of the Urban Ecology Center’s work and mission:
- 3 research and community science interns: study urban field ecology
- 3 community programs interns: lead outdoor and nature education for all ages
- 1 marketing intern: tell stories of our vibrant urban ecological work and communities
- 14 summer camp educator interns: develop nature based education with children in summer camps
- 4 land stewardship interns: preserve and protect ecological diversity and integrity of urban green spaces
- 1 visitor services intern: ensure visitors have great experiences with our centers and equipment lending program
Varies based on chosen internship.
- A high school diploma or GED and at least one year of work or learning experience beyond high school.
- Experience in and enthusiasm for working with children grades K-9 desirable, including child care, field trips and other camp/outdoor experience.
- Physical ability with reasonable accommodation required for activities, such as carrying and paddling canoes or hiking for a full day.
- Proven experience with urban youth, and ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
- Ability to engage participants easily and to express enthusiasm for activities desired.
- A clean driving record and willingness to drive a 14-passenger bus strongly preferred.
- Canoe training, lifeguard certification and/or water safety certificates are a plus.
Urban Ecology Center 1500 E. Park Pl Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53211 Website
Number of Position Openings: 3