Northland College, a private liberal arts college located on the beautiful shores of Lake Superior, seeks two Student Leadership Advisors.
There are two Student Leadership Advisors (SLA) on campus. They are dual positions responsible for varying selection of functional areas of responsibilities that include a combination of Residential Life duties and New Student Transitions or Student Event coordination. SLAs are also responsible for the direct administration of the residential living spaces on campus which house undergraduate students. The SLAs coordinate efforts aimed at creating a comfortable, safe, and engaged campus environment.
Reporting to the Director of Residential Life, these are key leadership position on campus. The SLAs help supervise twenty (20) student staff, five (5) Head Resident Assistants (HRAs) and fifteen (15) Resident Assistants (RAs). Facility oversight extends to seven (7) residential areas – traditional halls and group living options – and approximately 350-400 residents.
Each SLA position is contracted for one year. An SLA can renew their contract for up to three years.
The items below are intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
An SLA is responsible for a selection of functional responsibilities that change every academic year, these can include but are not limited to the following items. One SLA will manage New Student Transitions and the other SLA will manage Student Event coordination in addition to Residential Life duties and division leadership.
1. Residential Life duties (45%)
a. Student staff supervision and training
b. Policy enforcement, crisis management, and on-call responsibilities
c. Community development and facility operations
d. Office administration
2. Division Leadership (5%)
a. Collaborations with other Student Affairs members
b. Representation at campus events
3. New Student Transitions (50%) or Student Event Coordination (50%)
a. New Student Transitions duties
i. Organize on-campus orientation events during arrival days, welcome week, and winter semester
ii. Collaborate with outdoor trips to bring students to campus
iii. Manage all pertinent new and incoming student information
iv. Assist in campus wide FYE/Northland Highways program
b. Student Event Coordination
i. Administer campus events aimed at enhancing the student experience
ii. Unify Student Affairs Division programmatic efforts
iii. Implement and maintain campus event assessments
iv. Lead summer housing initiatives for non-Northland entities
Other Performance Standards
• Prioritizes work activities to complete assignments by expected deadlines and makes the most effective use of time available.
• Interacts with Northland College staff, students, and faculty in a positive manner while supportive of institutional goals.
• Handles sensitive and confidential information in a professional manner.
1. Bachelor’s Degree and previous residential life experience is required
a. Preferred: Post-degree full time professional live-in experience with responsible supervisory and management experience
2. A valid driver’s license, good driving record, and willingness to become a certified to driver of campus vehicles
3. Ability to manage multiple, competing priorities
4. Crisis-management/on-call experience
5. Proven ability to be self-motivated with minimal supervision
6. Excellent written and oral communication
7. Capability to operate with a flexible schedule as needed during peak times
Northland College Student Affairs 1411 Ellis Avenue Ashland, Wisconsin 54806 United States Website
Number of Position Openings: 2
Interested candidates must complete the online application. Submit (in PDF format) a letter that describes your interest in Northland College and position interest (new student transitions, student event coordination, or both), your resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Application Deadline: August 23, 2019
Ruth de Jesus firstname.lastname@example.org