Individuals filling this position will provide support or instruction for the MADski Youth Learn-to-Ski & Snowboard program, which was developed by the Ashwabay Outdoor Educational Foundation and is delivered at Mt. Ashwabay, near Bayfield, Wisconsin.
The MADski program was developed to instill a love of skiing and snowboarding in youth ages six to fourteen. Using PSIA (Professional Ski Instructors of America) and USSA (United States Ski and Snowboard Association) training techniques, program instructors work closely with kids and parents to help them learn how to ski or snowboard in a manner that is easy, fun, and safe.
Through this position, individuals have an opportunity to learn about ski and snowboard instruction specifically, and about the delivery of youth and family development programs more generally. The experiences gained through this position will be helpful for individuals who are considering careers in education, coaching, physical skill training, or youth and family development.
The position requires approximately four to six hours of work per week in January and February. Most of the work hours will be completed on Saturday mornings in an outdoor, winter environment.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Planning and collaborating with MADski leaders and other instructors
- Being present for MADski instructional sessions at Mt. Ashawbay on Saturday mornings
- Assisting youth and parents with preparations for ski or snowboard lessons
- Assisting with ski or snowboarding instruction in a manner that is commensurate with the individual’s skills, training, and certifications,
- Assisting with administrative or logistical needs of the MADski program as needed.
- An interest in skiing and snowboarding,
- A demonstrated interest in and aptitude for working with young people
- A willingness to work outdoors in a variety of winter conditions
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills,
- Access to reliable transportation for travel to Mt. Ashwabay.
Sigurd Olson Environmental Institute at Northland College
To apply, send a cover letter and current resume as PDF attachments to SOEI.
Application Deadline: October 1, 2019
Alan Brew firstname.lastname@example.org