The public housing policy intern is a part-time position offered for college credit that reports to the executive director of the City of Ashland Housing Authority. The public housing policy intern supports the City of Ashland Housing Authority administration and Board of Commissioners to complete its mission, which is to provide safe, decent, affordable, accessible and sanitary housing for low income individuals and families while managing resources efficiently. The PHA promotes an environment free from discrimination while supporting autonomous lifestyles for all tenants. Interns assist with reviewing and revising organizational policies. Through the internship, the student will gain a broad overview of the services provided by Public Housing Authorities and gain extensive experience in developing policies to comply with federal regulations. The ideal candidate will be one that is motivated to work independently and is highly attentive to details. The weekly time commitment is negotiable with the best candidate.
- Create a database of required policies for Public Housing Authorities
- Compare the database with existing City of Ashland Housing Authority Policies
- Work with the Executive Director and Assistant Director to review and revise policies. May include
- Administrative Plan for Section 8 Program
- Personnel Policy
- Work with Executive Director and Assistant Director To Revise Tenant Documents. May include:
- Tenant Lease
- Tenant Application
- Participate in Board of Commissioners Meeting to Present Updates of Work
- Work alongside Ashland Housing Authority staff to learn more about the organization’s services
Essential Job Functions
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel and Word
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to follow through on commitments and projects
Additional Optional Qualifications
- Interest in working within the public sector, ideally in public housing
- Carrying equipment, up to 15 lbs.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Available for work between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm Monday through Friday
Northland College will determine the appropriate number of credits for the commitment made. Depending on the number of hours the student can commit. A minimum of six (6) hours per week is required, the maximum is negotiable.
As an affirmative action employer, the City of Ashland Housing Authority (AHA) provides equal opportunity in programs and employment and is strongly committed to maintaining a climate supportive of respect for differences and equality of opportunity. The AHA does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, disability, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, religion, marital status, identity as a veteran, disabled veteran, Vietnam veteran or any other military service, arrest record or non-program related conviction record. We promote excellence through diversity and encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
It is the policy of the AHA to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact the AHA office at 715-682-7066. Please call 711 if you are hearing or speech impaired and need assistance.
City of Ashland Housing Authority 319 Chapple Avenue Ashland, Wisconsin 54806 Website
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position will be offered to the first qualified applicant, so please apply as soon as possible. To earn credit for this internship, application and registration deadlines are: Winter Semester: apply by Jan. 3; registration materials due to the Registrar by Jan. 17. May Term: apply by Friday, April 3, registration materials due to the Registrar by April 27. Apply by Summer semester; apply by Friday, May 15, registration materials are due to the Registrar by Friday, June 21.
To apply the candidate must provide:
- A cover letter that demonstrates the candidate’s ability to meet the qualifications of the position (no more than two pages in length)
- A current resume
- Three academic or professional references with phone and email contact information
Application materials must be sent to the attention of Executive Director Kathy Beeksma. Materials may be sent via email at to: email@example.com or dropped off at:
City of Ashland Housing Authority
319 Chapple Avenue
Ashland, WI 54806
Criminal Background Check
A background check will be conducted for the finalist candidate. Internship is contingent upon a completion of a successful background check and establishment of identity. The AHA reserves the right to verify any and all information stated or implied within application materials to confirm a candidate’s qualification(s) prior to appointment to the position.
Kathy Beeksma firstname.lastname@example.org