Applications will be reviewed and considered as they are received. Offers will be made on a rolling basis. Apply soon!
Part of the River Connections Program, a partnership of the St. Croix River Association and the National Park Service at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.
The St. Croix River Association (SCRA) is currently recruiting applicants for four park guide internships at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway during the summer of 2019.
The riverway is one of the nation’s first wild and scenic rivers. It is a national park consisting of 255 river miles that flow through some of the most scenic and least developed country in the Upper Midwest. Learn more at: nps.gov/sacn
SCRA (stcroixriverassociation.org) is a nonprofit organization that protects, restores and celebrates the St. Croix River and its watershed, and serves as the official non-profit partner of the National Park.
Description of Internship
These positions are within the Division of Resource Stewardship and Education and are supervised by the district interpretive rangers. They provide students with practical work experience in visitor services and interpretation in a busy national park. Interns will work with park rangers to create opportunities for park visitors to understand the significance of the riverway and its resources.
Through this internship, interns will gain an understanding and appreciation for the role interpretive park staff play in connecting visitors to national parks on a personal and emotional level. They will learn to effectively communicate with the public in a variety of settings and lead educational programs for children of all ages. They will also have opportunities to work with other programs and divisions within the park and with non-profit groups to understand the variety of roles involved in the operation of a national park.
- Food and expense allowance.
- Free housing provided for duration of internship.
- Training in formal and informal interpretation, kayak skills, and CPR/1st Aid.
- Up to $1200 for college credits/tuition is provided to the school in which the student is enrolled.
- With 250 hours worked, you will receive a National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass that provides access to more than 2,000 recreation areas managed by five Federal agencies (valid for 12 months after issue).
Work Site and Conditions
- Intern will be based at either the St. Croix River Visitor Center in St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin, or the Namekagon River Visitor Center in Trego, Wisconsin.
- Work in the field is required and will involve some physical activity, including walking, standing for long periods of time, and paddling a kayak or canoe at a variety of park locations.
- Internship will run from mid-May through mid-August 2018.
- An internship of 12-14 weeks is preferred. Flexibility in length of the internship is negotiable with prior approval.
- Weekend work and some evening work are required.
- A fingerprint and background check is required.
- Research and present pre-developed thematic programs, especially Junior Ranger programs and short pop-up programs, to educate park visitors about the Riverway.
- Contact visitors and conduct informal programs at park landings, along hiking trails, and on the river in kayaks.
- Assist park staff with special events, outreach, and educational programs.
- Assist park staff at information desks in park visitor centers.
- Perform operational tasks such as assisting with opening and closing procedures starting park films, tracking visitor center statistics, selling bookstore items, and answering visitor questions.
- Complete behind-the-scenes tasks such as cleaning and organizing.
- Issue camping permits and take shelter reservations.
- Visit landings and trailheads to stock information and post notices.
- Assist other park divisions to maintain the native gardens at the visitor centers.
- Conduct all on-the-job activities safely and contribute to a safe work environment.
- Contribute positively to the team environment.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- College student or recent graduate with coursework in communication; education; resource interpretation; outdoor recreation; or park/recreation management; natural, physical or cultural sciences or management.
- General knowledge of the National Park Service or St. Croix National Scenic Riverway is helpful.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, be detail-oriented and organized, and to follow oral and written directions.
- Has experience working with and presenting information to children.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Basic computer familiarity.
- Valid state driver’s license is required.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds independently, and up to 50 pounds with assistance.
- Ability to provide information and safety messages to visitors.
St. Croix River Association PO Box 655 St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin 54024 Website
Number of Position Openings: 4
Send all of the following information:
- Cover letter. State the internship you are applying for and why are you interested in the internship and working with the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.
- Detailed resume, including work experience.
- Three references.
St. Croix River Association
Applications will be reviewed & considered as they are received, so apply soon!
Application Deadline: March 1, 2019
Jaime Souza email@example.com