During summers at the Discovery Center, located in the heart of Wisconsin’s Northwoods, the naturalist intern serves as not only a guide for drop-in activities and a welcoming, friendly presence for visiting families and groups, but also as a core member of our youth and family programming team.
This individual is responsible for facilitating positive, intergenerational experiences for nature center visitors, garden maintenance, activities including geocaching, interpretive hikes, live animal care, our eco-series programs for four- to ten-year-olds, and for incorporating the use of adult volunteers, as well as assisting in other staff led programs such as canoe and hiking trips and offsite environmental programming.
At least 40 hours/ week with Tuesday-Saturday schedule that includes a good deal of flexibility and will include some required evenings
Length of Service:
Thirteen weeks, approximately May 20– August 23
$800 monthly stipend plus free, shared onsite housing
- General Excellent oral communication skills. Strong organizational skills. A cheerful, positive attitude. Reliability and the ability to self-motivate and work independently. Basic office skills, data entry, and record keeping. CPR and First Aid certification are a mandatory requirement for this position, and proof of current certification is required on file prior to start date (Lifeguard Certification preferred). Valid driver’s license.
- Naturalist Experience: Major in environmental education/interpretation, outdoor recreation, environmental science, natural resources, wildlife biology, or a closely related field. Must have experience and ability to lead and successfully interact with people and volunteers of all ages in an informal setting (the outdoor “classroom”), especially children. Demonstrated interest in outdoor recreation, silent sports and conservation. Basic understanding of the ecology and natural history of the Wisconsin environment, plants and animals. Gardening experience and passion a plus.
Responsibilities and Opportunities:
This position is responsible for, and will gain experience in, the following four main areas:
- Delivering high quality, engaging programming to youth and family groups.
Develop curricula and plans for programs, activities and drop-in crafts. Prepare the classroom, Nature Nook, and all materials. Manage volunteer involvement and youth mentoring. Co-lead, lead (or train and schedule volunteers to lead) weekly programs. Ensure excellent records of attendance.
- Greet visitors and members.
Welcome guests and members to the Discovery Center. Encourage a variety of ways to get involved with the site and the organization. Answer questions on trails, organization history, and opportunities for activities. Guide groups to interact in the manner that best fits their interest, ages and timeframe.
- Lead interpretive hikes, tours and programs.
Lead experiences on trails and grounds including information on local natural history, ecology, and site-specific highlights.). Lead weekly hikes and bimonthly family Saturday programs onsite. Spend time maintaining our Nature Nook exhibits, live animals and visitors, as well as onsite gardens.
- Participate as part of the dedicated program team at the Discovery Center.
Work a flexible week including some evenings. Assist in programs, special events and fundraisers, and community outreach. Assist with storytelling initiatives for the organization, through blog posts, newsletter pieces, picture-taking, and member-board-staff presentations. Complete a project before the end of the internship that benefits the Discovery Center education curriculum or physical grounds.
You will gain experience in: curriculum development, program delivery, volunteer supervision, verbal/written communications and interpretation, visitor services, record keeping, and data entry.
North Lakeland Discovery Center 14006 Discovery Lane Manitowish Waters, Wisconsin 54545 Website
To apply for this position, send a letter of interest, résumé, and three references by February 18, 2019 to:
P.O. Box 237
Manitowish Waters, WI 54545
Or go online to fill out the application form and upload documents.
Application Deadline: February 18, 2019
Licia Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org