The head volleyball coach has the responsibility for the overall operation of the intercollegiate volleyball program in accordance with Northland College (NC), Upper Midwest Athletic Conference (UMAC), and National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) regulations. The head coach must have a commitment to the philosophy of providing a competitive NCAA Division III volleyball program that emphasizes the educational welfare of its student-athletes. The position has additional duties in the athletic department.
Northland College has adopted a strategic initiative to increase the diversity of its faculty and staff. The College provides equal opportunity for all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Northland College is an affirmative action employer. People of color, women, and others who would provide diverse perspectives to our College are encouraged to apply for this position. AA/EOE.
Regular Duties Performed Daily or Almost Daily
- Recruit quality student-athletes in accordance with NCAA regulations using letters, telephone calls, personal visits, reviewing videotapes, evaluations of talent at high school, junior college regular and tournament season games, and summer tournament and league games.
- Counsel and assist student-athletes in completing their academic degree at NC.
- Insure the health and safety of student-athletes.
- Plan and conduct practice sessions during the academic year to develop player skills and to teach strategies of the game in preparation to compete against other College’s intercollegiate teams.
- Prepare the team for each contest, planning and implementing an effective strategy to defeat an opponent.
- Plan and prepare the team for home and away contests. Make travel arrangements including food and lodging. Reserve transportation through Jet Travel.
- Adhere to College guidelines for individual, staff and team travel.
- Organize and conduct practice for student-athletes. Prepare summer workout program for student-athletes.
- Comply with NC, UMAC and NCAA rules and regulations.
Periodic Duties Recurring at Fixed Intervals
- Complete the form at the end of each semester that indicates who practiced and played that particular semester.
- Schedule contests and work with conference office on scheduling of game officials..
- Take the NCAA test on regulations and rules.
- Submit student-athlete housing needs for the upcoming year in the spring.
- Order proper and necessary equipment for the student-athletes and the coaching staff.
- Promote and perform fundraising activities including public speaking, and participating in athletics department friend and fundraising events.
- Organize and participate in summer camps on and off campus.
- Attend department meetings and UMAC sport meetings.
Occasional Duties Performed
- Participate in professional organizations and attend clinics and meetings to remain current on the trends within the sport.
- Conduct team meetings and functions.
- Use good organizational skills
- Have a high sense of integrity
- Be professional
- Be loyal
- Have good attendance and be prompt
- Support the values and mission Northland College and the Athletic Department.
- Actively support student growth, healthy development of teamwork, leadership, and self-assuredness;
- Be a good coach technically, able to use the assets of the team in coherent strategies
- Should, in the main, teach out of troubles and challenges rather than criticizing, berating, etc. the team, its members, or the officials.
- Should collaborate well in the department – accepting additional duties as you assign, supporting other coaches and teams, attending and positively contributing to meetings, and accepting decisions of the AD and the group around department commitments and agreements;
- Recruit well, filling squad size expectations.
- Become and remain competitive enough to assure positive student experiences and to meet general standards of competitiveness within the conference.
- Communicate professionally and proactively within the college, Ashland, and alumni communities.
Athletic Department Ashland, Wisconsin