Firestar Kennel, a competitive sled dog racing kennel in northern Bayfield County, is looking for one or two handler interns for the 2018-19 racing season. As a handler in training you will experience all that dogsledding has to offer from the thrill of riding the trail to the hard work around the kennel. You will learn how to drive a sled, take care of the dogs, proper nutrition, prepare food, and other kennel chores.
Firestar Kennel is a successful mid-distance dogsled racing kennel. Consisting exclusively of Alaskan Huskies, that run races across the upper midwest. These races consist of anywhere from thirty miles up to 250 miles. Typically they are two to three day events mainly in the months of January, February, and March.
This opportunity could be done for-credit as a field experience in outdoor education.
- Care of the dogs including feeding, scooping, watering, foot care, vaccinations
- Maintain gear
- Making & repairing ganglines
- Repairing sleds
- Washing gear
- Assist with races, including caring for dogs: bedding, feeding, massaging, foot care, harnessing
- Trail clearing
- Drive a four wheeler and dog sled
- Basic dog knowledge
- Fall Semester: available 2-4 days/week for for shorter runs
- Winter Semester availability: 1-2 days per week for longer runs
Firestar Kennel Iron River and Ashland, Wisconsin Website
Number of Position Openings: 2
Contact kennel owner Krystal Hagstrom to schedule an interview. Interviews will be held at the kennel near Iron River.
Application Deadline: January 4, 2019
Krystal Hagstrom email@example.com