Northland College is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans. Northland College is an equal opportunity employer.
Northland College, a private liberal arts college with an environmental focus, located on the beautiful shores of Lake Superior, seeks applications for a director of human resources. This position is responsible for organizing and directing all phases of Human Resource activity. The director will serve as a strategic partner in developing and maximizing the employee resources of the college, assisting in the development of a culture of transparent employee communication, development, and appreciation. The director serves as an advisor to the president and other supervisors on personnel matters, and provides employees with accurate and timely HR information with which they can make informed decisions affecting work and life.
Qualifications include a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of progressively responsible human resources experience, preferably in an educational or other not-for-profit environment.
- Compensation administration
- Oversees format and content of job descriptions and titles
- Determine benchmark positions and ranges
- Develop structure and ranges for non-exempt support positions
- Track compensation against benchmarks
- Review and approve all recommended salary changes
- Determine salary range for posted jobs
- Determine exempt vs. non-exempt status
- Consult with VP academic affairs on faculty salaries
- Make recommendations for general increases or equity adjustments
- Complete CUPA salary surveys and maintain salary system
- Interview all candidates for VP and director positions and other positions as requested
- Benefits Administration
- Oversees the administration of all employee benefit plans including health insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, Section 125 Cafeteria Plan, Northland Retirement Plan, Workers’ comp, Unemployment Comp, etc.
- Administration of benefit plans includes soliciting bids from insurance providers, processing such bids and recommending adoption. May represent Northland College to the WBC Health Plan
- Coordinate/communicate with CFO regarding benefit plan costs, including projected budget costs.
- Communicate with employees about plan changes and status
- Lead Northland coordination with new federal healthcare initiatives
- Keep plan documents up dated and properly communicated
- Provide primary contact to vendors including WBC, TIAA-CREF, Standard Life and Disability and Work Comp Carrier
- Conduct periodic training and education to employees
- Approve eligibility for Tuition Waiver and Exchange
- Employment Policy and Records
- Keep employment polices current and properly communicated
- Interpret employment policies for senior staff
- Develop and maintain College-wide Employment Polices Handbook, Staff Employee Handbook and Benefits Handbook; provide counsel to VP academic affairs on Faculty Handbook
- Oversee the maintenance of accurate employment records and data
- Responsible for College adherence to local, state and federal employment requirements
- Counsels employees and supervisors
- Conduct exit interviews
- Recruitment and Staffing
- Consult with VP academic affairs on faculty openings
- Establish benchmark job for posting
- Approve job description and title
- Determine with VP the process for filling an open position
- Determine where to place ads; monitor cost and effectiveness
- Educate search committees on requirements
- Write or approve all offer letters
- Approve all salary offers with President and CFO
- State and Federal Regulations
- Produce affirmative action data as requested by the president
- Oversee policies on sexual harassment, equal employment opportunity, Family and Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, Wisconsin Fair Employment Act, etc. Communicate policies and provide education to employees
- Function as EEO Officer, Affirmative Action Officer, ADA Compliance Officer
- Represent College in unemployment hearings
- Oversee compliance of benefit plans with legal requirements
- Performance Management
- Design and modify performance review process
- Announce and monitor annual review process including training as required
- Distribute guidelines
- Monitor completed reviews for quality and follow-up actions.
- Employee Performance and Involuntary Terminations
- Work with supervisors to coach and counsel employees on performance improvement.
- Counsel employees directly on performance issues, as requires
- Approve all requests for termination
- Consult with outside counsel on potential for claims and lawsuits
- Organize logistics and process for any reduction in force
- Counsel supervisors on appropriate levels of corrective action and proper documentation
- Employee Training and Professional Development
- Identify needs for training on employment issues, supervising, employee performance management, team-building, etc.
- Organize and deliver training as required.
- Manage any budgeted professional development funding
- Responsible for Human Resources department budget
Knowledgeable of current trends in compensation, benefits, employee relations and regulation.
Develop and maintain positive working relationships with employees, supervisors, applicants, providers; good listening skills and positive human relations skills
Handle confidential information with absolute integrity
Northland College 1411 Ellis Avenue Ashland, Wisconsin 54806 Website