Work with CEO/Owner, Northland graduate (1983) Mark Gross and Formacoat’s R&D staff on special medical device coating projects. Formacoat® is a creative biomedical company specializing in application of hydrophilic, hydrophobic and other custom coatings as a contract manufacturing service. We offer coatings from the full range of different brands, chemistries, and types of coatings. Formacoat draws from its extensive experience and this array of different technologies and coating vendors to help its customers find the best, most cost efficient and technologically appropriate coating for their application. Work with new materials and develop bench processes to coat proof of concept devices. The position is full time during the summer but could start during Winter or May Term, if the student is available in the Twin Cities M-F during 8-5. The position is paid and wages are based on experience.
Responsibilities: Work in the R&D lab to develop coating processes for new customer R&D projects. Examples of current projects include:
- Using a polymeric adenosine as a coating additive for a therapeutic guidewire while maintaining low friction and high durability.
- Translate chemical grafting process for polymeric substrates, from guideline documents to functional working process.
- Resorbable and non-resorbable bio-material film formation on differing substrates.
- And other projects when customer request warrant new projects.
- Northland College chemistry major, 3rd or 4th year
- Recommendation from Northland College chemistry professor
Should have some classroom experience/ understanding of:
- Report writing
- Experimental design ( inductive and deductive test design)
- Statistical analysis software (excel, etc.)
- General lab skills ( upkeep and maintenance, solution prep, keeping a lab notebook).
- UV/Vis Spectroscopy
- Organic chemistry
- Inorganic chemistry
Intern will gain experience in:
- Statistical analysis
- Database maintenance
- Fluid dynamics
- Chemical engineering
- Surface chemistry
- Polymer chemistry
Formacoat LLC 12500 Zinran Ave Savage, Minnesota 55378 Website