Our environmental educator interns use outdoor adventure and education to develop the next generation of ecological stewards for our planet. Catamount Institute is an environmental education non-profit based in the foothills of Colorado Springs. We offer environmental education programs during the school day, after school, and in the summer, to schools, scouts, families, and other groups.
Internship Length: 12 weeks, ~40 hours per week, fall, spring, or summer semesters.
Fall and spring interns will focus on our Catamount Outdoor School Program (COS), working with the COS program coordinator, interns, volunteers and public school staff to facilitate hands-on environmental education lessons during the school day at outdoor park and ranch locations near schools. Youth in this program experience COS at school on a schedule similar to other “specials” classes like art, music, and P.E.
Summer interns will concentrate on our Summer Camp programs, working with the Summer Camp program coordinator, interns, and volunteers to lead science and adventure based week -long camps ranging from half-day camps for four to six-year-olds to week-long residential camp experiences for teens including week long backpacking and overnight rafting trips.
Work requires independent judgment, initiative, positive attitude, creative problem solving, quality customer service, and a passion for educating youth about the imperative need to be stewards of nature.
- $444 per week based on experience
- Write and teach lessons aligned with Colorado Department of Education Standards
- Develop teaching and student management skills working alongside certified educators
- Broaden your naturalist knowledge with western plants and animals
- Practice outdoor hard skills like camping, orienteering, backcountry cooking, and Leave No Trace ethics
- Catamount Institute Staff gear and other perks, like spending your semester or summer teaching outside in the mountains!
- Experience individually leading a class of twelve to thirty students ages four to sixteen years old
- At least one year of experience in a leadership role, preferably in teaching
- Knowledge of the ecology, geography, and land management issues of Pikes Peak and surrounding region is preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to commit and maintain prompt, regular attendance; excellent time management skills
- Willingness and preparedness to work in all types of weather with varying temperatures, as well as indoors
- Capable of hiking up to five miles and leading groups off trail, over uneven terrain
Current CPR and first aid certification required, preference given to applicants with Wilderness First Aid or First Responder certification
- Self-motivation, innovation, and resourcefulness in doing whatever it takes to get the job done well
- Demonstrates enthusiasm, maturity, sense of humor, team spirit, and an appreciate for the natural world and spending time outdoors
- Lead standards-based lessons to increase awareness and discovery of the environment, sharing your enthusiasm for the natural world
- Assist in the review and the development of lessons in accordance with state standards
- Manage student behavior
- Serve as a mentor and coach to students and volunteers to ensure high quality programing
- Prepare field equipment and class supplies; ensure proper return and storage at the end of class
- Ensure a safe and positive experience for participants
- Share ongoing feedback with Program Coordinators highlighting student and class observations, concerns, questions, successes, and suggestions for improvement
- Promote Leave No Trace ethics and conservation
- Must pass a background check including but not limited to local school districts and insurance companies
- Attend environmental educator training, led by Program Coordinators, at the beginning of the semester or summer.
- Comfort driving our fifteen passenger vans after training and successful insurance check
Catamount Institute 740 W Caramillo Street Colorado Springs, Colorado Website
Number of Position Openings: 4
Please email resume, letter of interest, and three references to Tracy Jackson.
Tracy Jackson firstname.lastname@example.org