Working at Camp U-Nah-Li-Ya is much more than just a fun summer job. While it is in fact probably the most fun you’ll ever have while working, it is a truly transformative experience that prepares you for a lifetime in todays work force.
You will learn the value of collaboration, a hard work ethic, and the ability to problem solve. As you lead children through a week or two of building new friendships and pushing boundaries you’ll find yourself doing the exact same. A glowing letter of recommendation and the incredibly diverse work experience you will acquire during your time at U-Nah-Li-Ya are a mere bonus compared to the deep friendships, lifelong memories, and life changing impact you will make as a staff member at Unie.
If the wilderness calls to you, if you’re looking to be inspired, if you’re seeking adventure, if you want to change the world… Camp U-Nah-Li-Ya is for you. We can’t wait for you to join our family.
Full-time Summer: Sunday 11am – Friday 5pm.
Camp Dates: June 17 – August 17, with required pre-camp training starting in early June.
Help make this a summer to remember for our campers! As a resident camp counselor you will live with, care for and guide campers ages 7-14 throughout the camp week. Lead and actively participate in a wide variety of camp activities as well as work consistently in a Specialty Area. Work closely with the leadership team as well as campers to create a positive, engaging, safe, valuable and memorable camp experience for all!
- Live with and supervise 10-14 campers per week. Build close relationships, be a positive role model, and facilitate physical and emotional safety ensuring them a pleasant camp experience.
- Lead and assist in leading any/all camp activities: Specialty Area Programming, Camp Game, Campfire, Cabin Activities, Meals, Thought for the Day, TAPS etc.
- Attend and contribute to all staff trainings, meetings, and events.
- Be dressed professionally and be prepared to make all parents, families, and campers feel comfortable with all questions answered on arrival and departure days.
- Work with leadership team to manage camper behaviors, use effective/appropriate discipline techniques, and ask for assistance as needed.
- Assume responsibility for the safety of all campers and in the event of an emergency you will serve as a first responder (responding, reporting, and preventing.)
- Serve as a lifeguard as assigned by leadership to ensure safe swimming and waterfront activities.
- Work with peers and leadership team to foster a positive and friendly camp culture for both campers and staff.
- Complete weekly paperwork: camper postcards, patch certificates etc.
- Assist with camp clean-up after each group departs.
- Work one summer weekend program.
- Assist with any/all other camp duties as assigned.
- Overnight camp counselors must be at least 18 years of age per ACA requirements.
- Counselors must enjoy working with youth in an exciting outdoor environment, and have some demonstrated leadership abilities in this capacity.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent required.
- Ability to think flexibly and adjust to the unpredictability of camp life. Anything can happen!
- Sufficient visual, auditory, communicative, and cognitive abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Considerable physical movement to include running, walking, hiking, boating, swimming, games, etc. required. Must be able to lift at least 30 pounds with or without assistance.
- Lifeguard, CPR and First Aid certification required prior to the beginning of camp; training provided. You will be required to swim 300 yards continuously; perform a surface dive to depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10lb object from the bottom of the pool; and tread water for 2 minutes.
YMCA Camp UNahLiYa 12101 Y Camp Rd Suring, Wisconsin 54174 Website