The student intern will work closely with county, state, and federal conservation agencies assisting with a wide range of natural resource related activities. The intern will be involved with the following activities, including but not limited to: bluff prairie management, citizen-based stream monitoring, invasive species control, fish and wildlife surveys, habitat and facilities management, timber management and stand assessments, timber harvest planning and sale preparation, trout habitat restoration, soil and water conservation planning, GIS data management, and environmental education. A final report summarizing major accomplishments will be required.
- Compensation: The intern will receive a $6,000 scholarship paid in three installments.
- Start Date-End Date: May 20, 2019-August 23, 2019 (35-40 hours per week)
- Sponsoring Agencies: Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Natural Resources Conservation Service,
- Buffalo County Land Conservation Department, and the University of Wisconsin-Extension Buffalo County
- Must have at least one year of postsecondary education and pursuing a degree in a natural resources field such as wildlife ecology, conservation, water resources, biology or another closely related field and enrolled at a postsecondary institution for the fall 2019 semester.
- You must have a valid driver’s license, at least two years licensed driving experience, and must be at least 18 years of age. You must not have received an OWI or DUI violation within the past year or three or more moving violations and/or at fault accidents within the last two years.
- Competent with computer programs such as Microsoft Office and ArcGIS
- GPS literate
- Physically able to work in rugged terrain and inclement weather
- Ability to work independently or in a team setting
- Ability to effectively communicate with people ranging from youth to adult age
- Ability to work some evening and weekend hours
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Ability to interpret and use aerial photos, plat books, soil maps and topographic maps
- Basic knowledge of wildlife ecology, conservation, and animal/plant identification
Buffalo County, WI DNR Alma, Wisconsin
Send a letter of interest, resume, and most recent transcripts to Brian Brecka.
Application Deadline: January 30, 2020
Brian Brecka email@example.com