Applications will be reviewed and considered as they are received, and interviews will occur as qualified candidates emerge. Apply soon!
Part of the River Connections Program, a partnership of the St. Croix River Association and the National Park Service at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.
The St. Croix River Association (SCRA) is currently recruiting applicants for up to three aquatic invasive species (AIS) internships at the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway during the summer of 2019. Positions will be 12-15 weeks.
The Riverway, one of the nation’s first wild and scenic rivers, is a national park consisting of 255 river miles that flow through some of the most scenic and least developed country in the Upper Midwest. Learn more at nps.gov/sacn.
SCRA (stcroixriverassociation.org) is a nonprofit organization that protects, restores and celebrates the St. Croix River and its watershed, and serves as the official non-profit partner of the national park.
Description of Internship
This position is with SCRA, and is supervised by the SCRA Invasive Species Program lead. It provides students with practical work experience in the field of invasive species management and education, as well as volunteer program development and implementation. Interns will have the opportunity to learn many new skills from a variety of agencies and organizations, all while being outside working on the St. Croix River.
Benefits – Choose one of the following options:
Internship (Must be currently enrolled in school)
- Food and expense allowance
- Free housing provided for duration of internship, if requested
- Up to $1200 for college credits/tuition is provided to the school in which the student is enrolled
- Hourly wage dependent on experience and other needs
Work Site and Conditions
- Interns will be based at the St. Croix River Association in St. Croix Falls.
- Work in the field is required and will involve some physical activity, including walking, standing for long periods of time, and paddling a kayak or canoe at a variety of locations.
- Schedules can be variable or on a week to week basis.
- Positions will be 12-15 weeks, beginning May 15. Flexibility in length of the internship is negotiable with prior approval.
- Educate boaters at landings along the lower St. Croix River about invasive species identification, threats, and preventive measures.
- Visit marinas and bait dealers along the St. Croix River to provide educational invasive species materials.
- Assist with hosting AIS volunteer programs such as Project RED, Snapshot Day, Algae Alert Network trainings, and a boat landing education blitz weekend.
- Monitor the riverway for invasive species.
- Assist NPS staff with field activities related to invasive species research, monitoring, and prevention as needed.
- Distribute educational invasive species materials at river community events.
- Work with many and diverse partners, including local, state, and federal governments agencies throughout the watershed.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- College student or recent graduate with coursework in biology, natural resources, or a related field. Other majors or courses of study will be considered, but some background in natural resources is helpful.
- General knowledge of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway is helpful.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team, be detail-oriented and organized, and to follow oral and written directions.
- Ability to work with a flexible and changing schedule.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to lift and carry up to twenty-five pounds independently, and up to fifty pounds with assistance.
- Valid state driver’s license is required.
- Must be able to work weekends and evenings.
St. Croix River Association 230 S Washington St, Unit 1 St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin 54024 Website
Number of Position Openings: 3
Send all of the following information:
- Cover letter. State the internship you are applying for and why are you interested in the internship and working with the St. Croix River Association.
- Detailed resume, including work experience.
- Three references.
St. Croix River Association
Applications will be reviewed & considered as they are received, so apply soon!
Application Deadline: March 1, 2019
Jaime Souza email@example.com