Burnett County – Land Services is seeking two aquatic invasive species (AIS) interns for the 2019 field season. The AIS interns will be based out of Siren, Wisconsin. The AIS interns will report to the Burnett County AIS coordinator, who will oversee duties of the AIS interns. All necessary training for the position will be provided.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in statewide AIS prevention activities including Landing Blitz, Drain Campaign, Bait Dealer Initiative, Waterfowl Campaign, Project Riverine Early Detectors (RED), and AIS Snapshot Day.
- Assist the Burnett County AIS coordinator at workshops, trainings, and events.
- Assist the Burnett County AIS coordinator with AIS monitoring, AIS control efforts.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
At least one year of study towards a BS degree in water related sciences, conservation, botany, biology, or environmental education is preferred.
- Must be willing to work early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays, including Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Labor Day.
- Basic knowledge of natural resources, preferably with regards to aquatic invasive species identification, prevention, and control.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with the public.
- Able to self-start and to work independently without close supervision.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license.
Physical demands of this position vary from day to day and are highly dependent on the particular function being fulfilled on that day.
- Normal working conditions involve regular and recurrent exposure to the operating of equipment or adverse weather conditions such as wind, sun, high and low temperatures, herbicides, insecticides and other chemical spray operations.
- Protective gear and clothing such as hard hats, boots and gloves may be necessary.
- The work requires regular and recurring physical exertion related to rough terrain, carrying equipment, and climbing steep banks, wading in shifting lake/stream beds, gathering of vegetation for sampling, bending and twisting to inspect boats and trailers.
Burnett County 7410 County Road K Siren, Wisconsin 54872 Website
Number of Position Openings: 2
Please send a letter of interest, resume, and Burnett County application to: Becca Klemme, 7410 County Rd K #120, Siren, WI. 54872. Applications may also be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: February 8, 2019
Becca Klemme email@example.com