Your August Welcome Experience (AWE) is five days of activities designed to introduce all new students (first-year and transfers with less than 24 credits) to our vibrant campus life, campus resources, academic preparation, and community engagement that embodies what it means to be part of our Northland community. AWE is dedicated to setting you up for a successful first semester at college. Think of this week as time specifically set aside to get you ready for starting your college career.
You will be participating in several events, activities, and workshops including:
- Engaging in several events designed to specifically for you to meet your fellow classmates, faculty, and staff to create a sense of belonging on campus
- Getting off campus in outdoor opportunities developed to introduce you to the local area, peers, and parts of Northland’s culture to create a sense of place with our natural world
- Learning our ins and outs of college expectations, policies, and resources to create a sense of personal and community understanding and success
The goals of AWE are to foster opportunities that promote campus engagement. promote personal and social development, provide students with information about services, support systems, and issues facing college students.
The purpose of AWE is to prepare students to be successful at Northland by:
- Creating a welcoming environment that builds a sense of community among the incoming class and connects them to faculty, staff and other students
- Providing a framework for years of success through the communication of expectations, culture, and standards
- Presenting information and resources that will allow students to make informed and appropriate academic plans and healthy social choices