Dismiss Message
  • Students walking to Ponzio

Change of Circumstances

Northland College recognizes that there are times when you or your family’s circumstances change unexpectedly. In cases where there has been an unforeseenĀ change that creates a financial hardship, Northland College has an appeals process in place to offer you assistance and evaluate whether additional financial resources can be offered to you on an emergency basis.

In order to start the evaluation process, you will need to contact Northland College either by phone, email, or by visiting Student Financial Services in person. The representative you meet with will discuss your circumstances with you in order to determine the most appropriate action to take. In some instances, you may be asked to provide documentation of your situation.

Northland College may evaluate you for additional financial resources if you have had any of the following changes in circumstances:

  • Recent unemployment or reduction of income (not including voluntary retirement)
  • Death of a parent or spouse
  • Divorce or separation
  • Extensive medical debt
  • Any other circumstances that has adversely affected your family’s finances

Upon review of your circumstances, Northland may be able to offer you some additional financial assistance or advise on financing options you should consider. It is important that you review all other options available to you while this process is under review.

Financial Aid & Student Account Refunds

If you have excess financial aid (after tuition, fees, room, and board) you can apply for a return of those funds. Get your refund using the refund request form. Refunds are issued twice per month beginning after the add/drop period each term. Timing of refunds may be subject to change based on extenuating circumstances. Students who have submitted a form for a scheduled refund day will be contacted if a refund date will be rescheduled.

Federal Verification Guidelines

The Department of Education requires Northland College to review selected FAFSAs to ensure the accuracy of the information reported. This process is called Federal Verification.

If you are selected to be verified, you will be notified via email. Your federal and institutional need-based aid is not considered finalized and will not pay to your account until the process is completed. The Northland College selection criterion is different from the information you may find on your Student Aid Report (SAR).

You are required to submit the documentation requested. If you do not submit the requested documentation by the deadline specified in your notification, your federal and institutional need-based financial aid for the academic year will be canceled.

Any errors or discrepancies identified on your FAFSA during verification will be corrected. Corrections to your FAFSA information may result in changes to your EFC and aid eligibility. You will be notified via email if any changes are made to your FAFSA, EFC and/or aid eligibility.

If you are selected for verification, you will need to submit the following documentation:

  • Completed Verification Worksheet
  • If you successfully used the IRS Data Retrieval Download Tool when filing your FAFSA, you do not need to submit a Tax Return Transcript for verification. If you would like to update your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool after you have been selected for verification, you may do so at the FAFSA website. This is the preferred method by the Department of Education for updating the FAFSA.
  • If you did not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you must submit of the following:
    • An Official IRS Tax Return Transcript of your tax return
    • An Official IRS Tax Return Transcript of your parent’s tax return
    • An Official IRS Tax Return Transcript of your spouse’s tax return (if you are married and filed separately)

You can order an official IRS Tax Return Transcript directly from the IRS website. We cannot accept or use a photocopy of your actual tax returns or an official IRS Tax Account Transcript for the verification process.

Losing Eligibility

Change in Status

Some financial aid awards require you to maintain a certain per term enrollment. If you are planning to change your status from full time to part time, or you decide to enroll for less than full time for a single term, it is important you contact Student Financial Services to determine if your financial aid will be affected. You may end up losing some types of financial aid if you change your status or enroll for less than full time.

Not Maintaining Required GPA

Most of the scholarships offered by Northland College require you to maintain a specific cumulative grade point average (GPA). If you do not meet the minimum GPA threshold at the time GPAs are reviewed, you will lose your scholarship for the next academic year.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

All students attending Northland College are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP) in order to remain eligible to receive financial aid. You should review the details of Northland Collegeā€™s SAP Policy for more details.